Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I haven't been on this in a while, about three years. Problem with having a blog is I don't always have something to talk about ad nauseum . In the past I've used this for sports talk and a little on home improvement. But now I am going to start using it for a new purpose: weight loss journal. I don't know if anyone will read this, but this is for me and if someone gets something out of reading these posts, then added benefit.

I have struggled with my weight since junior high. I've never been "morbidly" overweight but I've always been the chubby kid. I've gotten motivation and relapsed so many times that I've lost count. I get lazy and food is my weakness. The biggest problem I have with food is I'm a boredom eater. I'll be watching TV or reading a book and get hungry. I start exercising and do well for a few weeks, then lose motivation and stop going back. I always find excuses not to go and then feel bad about it when those trying to motivate me are disappointed. I appreciate anyone who ever pushes me but I have to realize I am only hurting myself by not going. So this all ends today.

I am 28 years old, I weigh 280 pounds, I have had surgery on both my knees, and I couldn't run a mile if Freddy Kruger were chasing me. I started running this summer however pain in my knee forced me to stop. I was advised by my doctor to stop running until I could strengthen my leg up. However as I mentioned earlier, I used this as an excuse to just stop working out.

When I was younger, my doctor told me that I am "big-boned". My "ideal" weight is around 190, but he told me he would consider me perfectly healthy if I could get to 210-220. So I am settings my goal at 200. That's 80 pounds. I have a long way to go and am just starting, but its time for a change. I'm not doing this to impress anyone, I'm not looking for a 6-pack and bulging biceps (though I'm not opposed to the idea). I just need to be healthier. As I get older, this will only get harder so the time is now. I'm not setting a goal date, just looking for positive progress.

September 24, 2013. I hope this is the day that I can look back on as the day I turned my life around. Future me: hope you look better in a swimsuit than I do.

-Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment